Here’s a highlight of some of the top local-business-related news of the week:
[Social Media News] Twitter Introduces Custom Timelines
News Source: SmallBusiness.com
On Tuesday, Twitter announced a new feature called Custom Timelines. This feature allows users to organize and display tweets around a specific topic or theme.
Custom Timelines function much the same way as Pinterest boards do. Each timeline has a name, description, and public URL that can be shared and viewed by anyone. Users add relevant and interesting Tweets to their Custom Timelines, which other people can follow.
Currently, Custom Timelines is a feature only available through TweetDeck.
Key Takeaway: Custom Timelines gives Twitter users a more meaningful way to view and share content. Make sure your business’s Twitter account is active and sharing valuable information so that users will share your Tweets using this new Custom Timelines feature.
[Retail News] TripAdvisor Survey Reveals Uptick in Thanksgiving Travel and Spending
News Source: The Wall Street Journal
TripAdvisor announced the results of their annual Thanksgiving survey earlier this week. The results indicated an uptick in both holiday travel and spending:
- 39% of respondents plan to travel for Thanksgiving (up 7% from last year)
- 46% of respondents plan to spend more on Thanksgiving travel this year
- 45% of respondents plan to shop on Black Friday (up 12% from 2012 numbers)
- 57% of respondents plan to use a mobile device during their trip, with 40% of mobile users researching restaurants
Key Takeaway: This Thanksgiving will be a busy time for retailers, restaurants, and hotels. In the next couple of weeks, take time to prepare for the increased patronage by training seasonal staff, extending store hours, increasing inventory—whatever your business needs to do in order to get the most out of the holiday season.
[Economic News] Franchise Sector Powers 20% of Total Private Sector Job Growth in October
News Source: Entrepreneur
This week, ADP released its October National Franchise Report, which outlines key job growth in the franchise sector each month. Some highlights from the latest report include:
- The franchise sector accounted for more than 20% of the 130,000 private-sector jobs created in October
- 25,060 jobs were added to the franchise sector last month
- Restaurants led the way with 11,520 jobs, followed by Auto Parts & Dealers, Hospitality, and Business Services
Key Takeaway: The franchise sector has continued to grow faster than the overall economy in 2013. If you own a franchise and are going on a hiring spree, take the time needed to invest wisely in great staff who will be committed to your business and your customers.
Other news catch your eye this week? Leave a comment and let us know!